There are several methods to find out if you have tooth decay or not. Observation is one of these methods. The dentists use an explorer that is a metal instrument with a sharp tip to find out the possible decay. X-rays are important to find out the tooth decay that cannot be seen on the surface.
The filling is a necessity not only for a decay but also for cracked, broken or worn teeth because of habits like nail-biting, tooth grinding and using the teeth to open things can be a necessity for the fillings.
Steps to a filling:
- Firstly, if it is necessary you’ll be given local anesthesia to numb the area.
- Secondly the decay will be removed from the tooth by using hand instruments, by the drill or by the lasers.
- After removing the decay, dentist will shape the space to prepare it for the filling. Different shaping procedures are needed for different types of fillings in order to make the filling stay in place.
- If a bonded filling is used, the dentist prepares the tooth with an acid gel before placing the filling.
- Than bonding is applied. Bonded filling is generally done with composite fillings.
- If the dentist is making a composite-resin filling or a resin-bonded glass ionomer filling, he or she will stop several times to shine a bright blue light on the resin in order to cure the material and to make it strong.
- After the filling is done it will be polished by using the burs and discs.